Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Mom and Dad arrive in Singapore

In the dark of night, after 24+ hours of travel, my parents arrived for their visit. It was so good to see their familiar faces in the airport — Jeff and I are both so happy to have them here!

For Mom and Dad's first day here, we took a bumboat tour of the Singapore River. We got some great views of the major sites of Singapore, like the Merlion, Raffles' Landing Site, and the Esplanade.




I've been trying to take it easy on both of them, because even though they don't seem to be affected by the jet lag, I know they're having a difficult time adjusting to this humidity and heat. So after the bumboat tour, I thought it would be a good idea to take my parents to a reflexology place to get a foot massage. Mom seemed to benefit from it, because she had complained about having swollen feet from sitting so long on the plane. But I'm pretty sure Dad hated it, because he acted like he was in a great deal of pain afterwards. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all.

Later that evening, after giving my folks time to recuperate from the foot massage, we went to Boat Quay so they could try some of the local fare, like coffee chicken, satay, and steak. Nah, I'm just kidding. Steak is not local fare, but that's what my dad prefers to eat. My parents are pretty adventurous eaters, but Jeff reminded me last night that I need to go easy on them during their first couple days. It's been a while since I've eaten Western food and I need to remember that a lot of this is new to them.

Maybe they'll be ready for the fried ants and scorpions in a few days.